Godfrey Templeton

GODFREY ALLAN TEMPLETON

Service: Army

Unit: 1st/7th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Rank: 2nd Lieutenant


Godfrey, born in Glasgow in 1897, brother of Archibald, was the third son of *Rev. Archibald Templeton M.D. and Mrs Elizabeth H. Templeton (neé Aitken) of Crookfur House, Newton Mearns.

He was killed in France on 27 July 1918, aged 21 and was originally buried in Epernay French Military Cemetery. He was reburied in Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, Pas-de-Calais, France Grave reference XVII. C. 5 and is also commemorated on the family gravestone in Glasgow Necropolis.


*Rev. Archibald Templeton was born on 26th December 1844 and licensed in 1871. In the same year he was sent to Pachamba in India to serve these tribal areas under the “Santal Mission of the United Free Church of Scotland”. This mission also set up the first hospital in Pachamba. He retired in 1876 and returned to Scotland. In 1888 he married Elizabeth Aitken and practiced in Glasgow. The family moved to Crookfur House in Newton Mearns in the early years of 1900. Archibald died at Crookfur House in 1923 and Mrs Templeton, who laid the foundation stone of Newton Mearns Parish Church, died in 1947.


Back to list

Image reproduced by permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission